This page explains how I converted the example source code used in the book to the Java(tm) pre-beta release.
  1. I downloaded the beta release:
          $ ftp
          220 kind FTP server (UNIX(r) System V Release 4.0) ready.
          Name ( anonymous
          331 Guest login ok, send ident as password.
          Password: my-email-address
          230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
          ftp> cd pub
          250 CWD command successful.
          ftp> bin
          200 Type set to I.
          ftp> mget JDK*
          mget JDK-prebeta1-solaris2-sparc.tar.Z? yes
          200 PORT command successful.
          150 Binary data connection for JDK-prebeta1-solaris2-sparc.tar.Z (,34827) (4284889 bytes).
          ftp> quit
  2. I uncompressed and unpacked the file:
          $ uncompress *.Z
          $ tar -xvf *.tar
          $ rm *.tar
  3. The upgrade program is in java/bin/upgrade.
  4. I made a script called update-java:
          for i in $* 
                  upgrade < $i > beta/$i
  5. I ran this upgrade script in the directory with my alpha source code:
          $ mkdir beta
          $ upgrade-java *.java
    There were no errors in the conversion. :)
  6. Then I made a script called show-diff:
          for i in $* 
                  diff $i beta/$i > $i.diff
    And I ran this and looked at the results to see the changes in the files:
          $ show-diff *.java
          $ more *.diff
    I updated the @version date lines so that they reflect when I made this beta update.
  7. I'm still working on the recompilation of all the code.
search Search · star Market
2023-06-19 · John December · Terms ©